Monday, March 15, 2010

My Warm and Cozy Nest

Since I’ve been blogging lately about ways to build your “nest”, I thought you might like to have a tour of my “nest”.  I’ll start with the areas we live in the most.

I really do enjoy doing home improvement projects. Most of the changes we made to our home were made before I started blogging so there aren’t many “before” pictures. Just imagine seeing most of the walls white.  Ick!!

I wanted to create a warm and loving environment for my family so I chose warm colors. It feels cozy.

Are you ready? Here we go….

Entry

 

     The Entry

 

My parents gave me the table for my birthday several years ago.  I LOVE getting furniture as gifts!!

 

 

                                                      The Living Room

Living Room

  This sofa used to have a very bright navy floral fabric on it until my mother reupholstered it. Great job Mom!  

Have you ever had a truck come through your neighborhood selling furniture from North Carolina? When we moved into our first home outside of Austin, Texas in 1994, we bought this green Thomasville wing backed chair off of a truck!                               

The Dining Room

IMG_3225

 My parents found this dining set at an Estate Sale for $600. It had been in the seller’s family since the 1920’s. I’m sure lots of interesting conversations were had around that dining table.

IMG_3226

This piano was my Granny’s piano. So sweet… I have so many memories of my mother playing this piano when we would visit my grandparents. My dad’s dad loved to hear my mom play!

Do you like my cross collection? I only have a few (ha, ha). All of the crosses have a story. Some were given as  gifts, one of them I made at a paint-your-own-pottery place, and some were handmade. My collection continues to grow. The Psalm 91 iron piece was given to me by my brother-in-law and sister-in-law several years ago. They didn’t even know that was my favorite chapter in The Bible! How cool is THAT?

Do you see the “Koele” doily in the frame over the doorway? My 90 year-old Great Aunt Hazel had her 93 year-old sister make that for us. What a treasure and heirloom.

Now on with the tour…

The Kitchen

I’m planning on painting my cabinets an antique black, so watch for pix very soon!

IMG_3227

Eventually, we’ll be changing the countertops and flooring, but we’ve got to save our pennies for that big job! 

IMG_3228

IMG_3232

Our Den

Den

Powder Room

This room used to have ugly, outdated wallpaper in navy, dark green, and burgundy. I used the same plaster technique from the Kitchen on this Powder Room. I love this even better! While the plaster was still wet, I used a sea sponge to create more texture for the tea stain to cling to.

   Powder Room 4 Plaster in Powder Room 2

 

Can you see the texture?

 

 

 

 

I’ll show you the rest of the house tomorrow!

Have a blessed day, Blogging Friends!

Sandi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background