Monday, March 22, 2010

The Last of the Nest Tour

I think a Master Bedroom should be a place of refuge and peace. I chose a nice shade of sage green for the walls and we love it! When we close the drapes, it’s like a cave!

Master Bedroom

I like to decorate my home on a budget so when it was time to work on our bedroom, I looked for something dramatic to go above the bed. The wall space is so large, I needed something to fill the space.

I found 4 of these scrolled iron pieces and decided to make an arrangement over the bed. I think it cost me around $25 for the whole thing! Bargain!

Master Bedroom Window

The ceilings are so tall in our room and regular curtains wouldn’t work. I found these drapes at JCPenney’s (on a major sale!) and added fabric to coordinate at the bottom to lengthen them..

The knobs were tricky. I priced them (I needed 30!) and it would have cost a fortune to buy that many actual metal knobs. So I decided to get creative.

I found large unfinished wooden knobs online (for cheap, I mean CHEAP) and painted them black. I then rubbed metallic paint on top of the black to make them look like the metal above the bed.  

Knobs in Master Bedroom

Now how to attach them to the wall? I hot glued them to long sheetrock nails and nailed them into the walls. My mom found the drapery rings and clips at a discount store and Voila! –Custom drapes!!

Now, on to my son’s room…

You know, boys kind of get the raw end of the room deal. Usually, the girls get the bigger rooms, and admit it, they have the cooler room decorations! Right?

I wanted to create a room for my son that was “him”. He loves loved baseball. At the time we decorated his room, that is. Now he’s moved on to golf and has declared that golf is “his sport”. I’m cool with that! (I can drive a mean golf cart!!)

So, here is his cool room. You can do anything with denim, so when he wants to update it with his golf “stuff”, it will be an easy redo.

Zach's Room 2

Zach's Closet

I also made more space in his room by removing those lovely closet doors and replacing them with curtains. These were panels I found for $8 at a discount home store.

****************

We have one more room in the house which is the study/home office. I’m starting that project this week! Oh, the joys of ripping down wallpaper border and painting. I hope it turns out in reality how it looks in my head!  I’m so excited because this is the last room in the house yet to be updated. I’ll post before and after pictures when it’s finished.

So, the moral of this tour is: You can look like you spent more money than you did if you just look around and get Creative!

Blessings,

Sandi

 

2 comments:

  1. Man, Sandi! You are inspiring me!!! I need to get out of the kitchen and into decorating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how creative you are with your decor. I was just in Garden Ridge yesterday and saw sooooo much that I would want in my future home. But, I love the way that you've taken one thing that's meant to be something specific, and then you changed it around to be something else -- beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Background